I happened upon a discovery whilst in the land of fruity drinks and suntans. It was a discovery that opened up a whole new world for me...
It is a little known fact that I am scared to swim with fish. That's right folks, you heard it here first. They say acknowledging the problem is the first step, you know in all of those "12 steps to over coming your fear of fish nibbling on your toes" programs. I have always fought the fear and tried not to let it keep me from water adventures. When I go out on a lake and happen to fall off of a tube or wakeboard or jet ski or other fun lake traversing object, I tread water calmly all the while trying not to imagine what could be lurking beneath me. And then, I'm back on said water traversing object quick as a water ninja, before the nibbling of the toes can begin.
Well, in Cancun my discovery was this...I'm only afraid of swimming with fish when I can't SEE them. I attribute it to my overactive imagination and all the stories of toe nibbling monsters of the deep that I've heard over the years. Snorkeling was my whole new world, and I, like my favorite mermaid Ariel, thought about bursting into song (I refrained since I've heard that lungs and sea water are ardent enemies.)
And, the next day I went swimming in some crystal clear water when we went on an island adventure, and I felt no toe nibbling anxiety whatsoever. I can't promise I won't fall off the wagon the next time I'm at the lake though, have you heard what lives down there!?
It is a little known fact that I am scared to swim with fish. That's right folks, you heard it here first. They say acknowledging the problem is the first step, you know in all of those "12 steps to over coming your fear of fish nibbling on your toes" programs. I have always fought the fear and tried not to let it keep me from water adventures. When I go out on a lake and happen to fall off of a tube or wakeboard or jet ski or other fun lake traversing object, I tread water calmly all the while trying not to imagine what could be lurking beneath me. And then, I'm back on said water traversing object quick as a water ninja, before the nibbling of the toes can begin.
Well, in Cancun my discovery was this...I'm only afraid of swimming with fish when I can't SEE them. I attribute it to my overactive imagination and all the stories of toe nibbling monsters of the deep that I've heard over the years. Snorkeling was my whole new world, and I, like my favorite mermaid Ariel, thought about bursting into song (I refrained since I've heard that lungs and sea water are ardent enemies.)
And, the next day I went swimming in some crystal clear water when we went on an island adventure, and I felt no toe nibbling anxiety whatsoever. I can't promise I won't fall off the wagon the next time I'm at the lake though, have you heard what lives down there!?
After our snorkeling adventure ended, we headed back to the hotel and each took a nap. Ocean swimming was enough to tire us out! That night we enjoyed a fabulous Mexican dinner with the whole clan. After dinner, a few in our group ordered Mayan coffee, and man alive what a production that turned out to be. It is a drink that involves some burning of the ingredients, so lucky for us we got dinner and a show!The following day, we took a trip out to Isla Mujeres and got to take a boat trip around the island. Again, my words aren't adequate to describe the beauty of this place, so I'll let pictures do most of the talking.
1 comment:
I am so jealous! That water looks beautiful! PS -Ariel is my favorite mermaid too!
Post a Comment