Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Magical Secret Spot

As a little girl at the beach, I was convinced that if I squinted my eyes just right and stared long enough across the great waters, I could see the coast of China. Don't ask me where I got ideas like that. I also used to think there was a little man in my tummy cranking a big wheel to crush up all of my food. No idea where that one came from either.

After many a science class, I no longer believe there is a little wheel turner in my belly, but I do still love to stare out across the ocean.

When we were at the coast last week, I saw a few fishing boats, a lighthouse, lots of birds and waves, some tide pools, and yet...even with binoculars I still couldn't see China. I gazed and scanned the horizon as I listened to the waves crash against the rocks in my girlhood "secret spot." I spent hours on those rocks each summer that our Oregon Coast excursions took us up to Yachats (pronounced yah-hots). I used to believe there was magic in that little town...harbored in the beautiful rocky shoreline. There was, and still is something so peaceful about watching the waves crash in perfect rhythm. And this trip I found tranquility and simplistic joy in watching Matt explore and discover all of the wonderments that fascinated me as a child. And I came to realize that though I can't see China from my "secret spot" that really isn't so secret, the magic is there. And it is captivating.

My "secret spot" then

My "secret spot" now

This picture resulted in...

a little bit of wetness. I think it was totally worth it, I don't know if he feels the same.




So much to explore!

We found a bunch of little crabs, and as soon as Matt saw them he got all excited and exclaimed, "I need a stick!"

He found one, and had a grand ol' time.

So peaceful.

My dad is a dutch oven cooking extraordinaire!

I can't even describe the deliciousness of these Dr Pepper Pineapple Ribs and the Cheesy Garlic Potatoes. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it! We ended the evening with a few rousing games of UNO and went to bed with the sound of the tide in our dreams.

We took an early morning walk the next day...hence the reason I look like I just woke up in this picture.

Sure do love these peeps!

Matt loved feeling the sea "enemies" grab onto his fingers.


I'm telling you...tide pools have their own special kind of magic!




Born of goodly parents!
(PS my mom gets awesome beach hair...especially when it's a bit windy)


Tranquility.

Next on the agenda was the aquarium. Good times were had!



I touched a shark! (Confession...it kind of freaked me out)


That is a big set of chompers!

Along our scenic drive.

We ended our days of adventuring on the Oregon Coast with a trip to the Portland Temple. Another place of peace and tranquility.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking at your pictures makes me so jealous. I think our vacation to Oregon was one of the best ever. We can't wait to take Asher soon!

Anonymous said...

It looks like you guys had a ton of fun on your trip home. I love all of the beach pictures. It makes me miss the Oregon Coast!

Aubs said...

Ahhhhh! It makes me miss my time in Oregon with you and your family. Good times, good times. I'm gald you had an awesome trip.