Monday, April 5, 2010

April Wise Gal

Every year toward the end of March I start to get a little giddy with excitement for the impending arrival of April Fools' Day. And, though I fear I didn't surpass last year's hijinks, I certainly had a wonderful time trying. I recently learned that, in many countries, the definition of an April Fool is one who plays tricks after the noon hour has passed. (Wikipedia is a wealth of yet to be discovered knowledge.)

Apparently I married April Fool.

He prefers to go by Retaliation.

But, it was most certainly after the noon hour that his own little mischief was brought to light.

My little trick on the other hand was completed before the sun crested above the horizon. So, what does that make me?

An April Wise Gal?

Hmm...I guess that's not much better.

But man alive, do we make a great team, April Fool (aka Retaliation) and I!

On the evening of March 31st whilst Matt was playing his little softball loving heart out, I took the liberty of putting his keys, sunglasses, class ring, and deodorant in everyone's favorite church pot luck dessert...green Jell-O.

Hold the carrots.

With the plastic containers hidden safely in the produce drawers, I went to bed with mischievousness simmering inside.

Using the distraction of Matt's early morning shower to my advantage, I quickly freed the encapsulated items from their plastic chambers, the suspended contraband jiggled with my anticipation. After strategic placement, I had nothing left to do but wait.

Confusion was evident upon Matt's face when he couldn't find his deodorant. Luckily for him, and his coworkers, he had a back up. And then...

"BABE! YOU'RE NOT FUNNY!"

His shout came from the laundry room upon the discovery of his deodorant staring up at him through a film of green.

I giggled like I school girl. I certainly thought I was funny!

Later, he wandered downstairs where the other items were waiting to greet him. And again came the cry, "NOT FUNNY BABE!"

Unbeknownst to him, I had followed him down the stairs and I saw the grin on his face as wandered from item to item. So, I KNOW he thought I was funny. And he was right!

Fast forward to about 5:00 pm and picture this:

We stopped for dinner on our way home from work and while I was in the bathroom, Mr. April Fool err...Retaliation, decided to consort with our waitress. He told her of the Jell-O masterpiece and implored her for help with his little scheme. She readily complied and convinced some of her co-workers to join her on the dark side.

It was the end of our meal and I was patiently waiting for a box. And then...clapping and shouting right in my ear! I nearly jumped out of my skin! There stood the entire wait staff clapping and singing "Happy Birthday" but first announcing that indeed it was not my birthday but due to the Jell-O placement stunt, it was a song of April Fools' Day redemption.

And then I looked across the table at Mr. Retaliation's ear splitting grin. He thought he was so funny!

And, he was right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it, you are so creative. I would have never thought of that. I seriously laughed so hard.

Brooke said...

You guys are hilarious! Nice work!