It may or may not come as a shock to you that I have a deep and abiding love for April Fool's Day.
The pranks, the reactions, the groans of the suckered...the endless laughter. What's not to love?!
Last year Arizona escaped my tom foolery. I chose instead to focus my girlish antics on my boss. And what a wise and rewarding decision that was! In 30 minute increments women of child bearing age appeared in his office asking for a minute or two of confidential conversing. Each broke the wonderful news of pregnancy. Each informed him that maternity leave would begin in August. Each asked him not to tell a soul, as the "good news" had not yet become public. With each conversation he became more and more nervous but no less congratulatory. I believe we made it to six or seven "pregnancies" before he headed into the director's office, bursting with news and panic and a warning not to drink the water. He was still trying to figure out how he was going to replace the lot of us during our fourth month company provided maternity leave, when we broke the news. April Fool's!
His reaction was classic (he was clearly relieved.) He groaned, he yelled, he promised revenge. And I laughed about it all day long. And, as if he hadn't had enough his assistant gave him a phone number and asked him to call a "disgruntled and beastly client." Which is how he ended up placing a phone call to the Phoenix Zoo with a request to speak to "Mr. Lion." Again, the groans, and oaths of retaliation. He was a good sport and it made for an excellent April Fool's Day.
This year, since I have switched companies and am no longer working with last year's victim, I set my sights on Mr. Arizona. Knowing that he wouldn't be expecting my mischievousness. In the waning days of March I made sure to make nary a mention of the impending day of tricks.
I didn't want to give him time to think of something to punk me with. My mama didn't raise no fool!
April 1st dawned bright and clear and with a hint of trickery in the air. I arrived at my office early. Too early. I had to wait a couple of hours to implement my plan.
I hate waiting.
Finally around 9 am the time had come. And I posted the following to Craigslist.
If you can't read it, it says " My wife won two tickets to the Britney Spears concert in Glendale on April 24th. The tickets are in the VIP area right by the stage and include back stage passes. unfortunately we are going to be out of town that weekend so we are looking to sell the tickets for $100 each or best offer. Please call Matt at (his cell number) if interested."
I waited anxiously for a phone call after publication. Ten minutes later Arizona's number appeared on my caller ID. I answered the phone with a giggle trapped in my throat. And that's where it stayed. No mention of the Britney Spear's tickets. My ruse had gone undetected for a little longer.
About an hour after posting another call came in.
Arizona, " Are you playing an April Fool's joke on me?!"
Me, " What are you talking about? What joke?"
Arizona, "Craigslist? Britney Spears tickets?"
Me, " Hmm...who's Britney Spears?"
Shoot! My cover was blown!
Arizona conversing with the guys he works with, "It was my punk wife who is sleeping on the couch tonight!" Then to me, " I'll have you know that it has taken me more than a half an hour to clear through all the voice mails on my phone! You won't know when or where but I'll get you back (the threats are part of April Fool's Day that I've come to expect.) Think laxatives."
Me laughing hysterically, " You share a bathroom with me, so really you'll just be punishing yourself."
Click. The line went dead.
Success was mine! Man I love that April 1st!
The pranks, the reactions, the groans of the suckered...the endless laughter. What's not to love?!
Last year Arizona escaped my tom foolery. I chose instead to focus my girlish antics on my boss. And what a wise and rewarding decision that was! In 30 minute increments women of child bearing age appeared in his office asking for a minute or two of confidential conversing. Each broke the wonderful news of pregnancy. Each informed him that maternity leave would begin in August. Each asked him not to tell a soul, as the "good news" had not yet become public. With each conversation he became more and more nervous but no less congratulatory. I believe we made it to six or seven "pregnancies" before he headed into the director's office, bursting with news and panic and a warning not to drink the water. He was still trying to figure out how he was going to replace the lot of us during our fourth month company provided maternity leave, when we broke the news. April Fool's!
His reaction was classic (he was clearly relieved.) He groaned, he yelled, he promised revenge. And I laughed about it all day long. And, as if he hadn't had enough his assistant gave him a phone number and asked him to call a "disgruntled and beastly client." Which is how he ended up placing a phone call to the Phoenix Zoo with a request to speak to "Mr. Lion." Again, the groans, and oaths of retaliation. He was a good sport and it made for an excellent April Fool's Day.
This year, since I have switched companies and am no longer working with last year's victim, I set my sights on Mr. Arizona. Knowing that he wouldn't be expecting my mischievousness. In the waning days of March I made sure to make nary a mention of the impending day of tricks.
I didn't want to give him time to think of something to punk me with. My mama didn't raise no fool!
April 1st dawned bright and clear and with a hint of trickery in the air. I arrived at my office early. Too early. I had to wait a couple of hours to implement my plan.
I hate waiting.
Finally around 9 am the time had come. And I posted the following to Craigslist.
I waited anxiously for a phone call after publication. Ten minutes later Arizona's number appeared on my caller ID. I answered the phone with a giggle trapped in my throat. And that's where it stayed. No mention of the Britney Spear's tickets. My ruse had gone undetected for a little longer.
About an hour after posting another call came in.
Arizona, " Are you playing an April Fool's joke on me?!"
Me, " What are you talking about? What joke?"
Arizona, "Craigslist? Britney Spears tickets?"
Me, " Hmm...who's Britney Spears?"
Shoot! My cover was blown!
Arizona conversing with the guys he works with, "It was my punk wife who is sleeping on the couch tonight!" Then to me, " I'll have you know that it has taken me more than a half an hour to clear through all the voice mails on my phone! You won't know when or where but I'll get you back (the threats are part of April Fool's Day that I've come to expect.) Think laxatives."
Me laughing hysterically, " You share a bathroom with me, so really you'll just be punishing yourself."
Click. The line went dead.
Success was mine! Man I love that April 1st!
7 comments:
You're awesome! I thought about doing something to Andrew at about 10 pm the night before then I decided I was too lazy.(:
That is so good. I am super impressed. I am not that smart.
I always love hearing of your April Fool's day success! This one is very impressive!
That is the funniest thing. Remind me never to get on your bad side.
CLASSIC!!!! HA HA HA HA! That's brilliant! I'm so proud of you, J.
That's so funny!! I can never think of anything that good. I'm glad some people do! :)
With relatives or friends like "J", who needs enemies?
With talent like this have you considered a job in government?
NEVER MIND-the idiot/clouns we have in government can screw up enough while trying to convince themselves and the citizenry they are doing good for everyone.
Post a Comment