Sunday, May 31, 2009

Over in a Flash

Our vacation, post New York, seemed to go by in a flash (not the naked man running across the football field type of flash, but more like the quick as lightning type of flash...although if you've ever seen a naked man running across a football field, they're usually moving pretty quickly, though probably not as quickly as the security guards charging after them...but I digress.)

Thursday came around and we said to ourselves, "Selves, Thursday seems like the perfect day to go to the zoo." So we did. And, we were joined by Tim and Tiff and their charming little offspring, A.D.

Pssst...we were actually more excited to see Tim and Tiff and little A.D than the zoo animals, but don't tell the monkeys or they might go a little ape on you!

Unfortunately, Thursday was NOT the perfect day to go to the zoo because they closed half of the exhibits to prepare for a very important event with very important people (to be said in Robin Leech "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" type voice) that was to be held that night. So...we saw what we could and were tired by the end of our time there anyway and felt no obligation to walk around and see anything else.

On second thought...maybe Thursday WAS the perfect day to go to the zoo!

Getting all primed for those "very important people at that so called very important event."

Arizona and A.D. loved the bird house!

This is how we all felt by the end of the day! Too bad GRACO doesn't make a stroller for adults!

This was my personal favorite of all the exhibits at the zoo! This little guy was dressed up as a superhero...and obviously he must really believe this suit gives him superpowers because the bum seam is totally all safety pinned together. So awesome and so funny! Maybe a future football stadium flasher in the making!

We headed home to rest up for an evening of laughs and reminiscing with some of Arizona's old college pals. PS why is it that a 2 hour nap passes by in a flash and 2 hours at work on a Friday afternoon seem endless?

Arizona had a great time catching up with everyone. (College is another thing that passed by in a flash! Why was I so eager to be done?! And, why oh why didn't I study abroad?! Sheesh, I think from now on anybody who decides to flash a college football stadium should run by with a sign that says, "Take your time...go to Europe for 6 months!" at least they'd be doing something useful.)


Arizona and Tim apparently didn't get enough "animal time" at the zoo, so they arose early and headed to Lake Braddock. (I have a vague remembrance of Arizona kissing me goodbye, but I was back to sleep in a flash.) Gotta love those peaceful mornings on the lake!



Later on (at a more reasonable vacation time hour) we met up with Tim and Tiff and little A.D. once agin for a little lunch and a walk around Burke Lake. Poor little A.D. just seemed to get so tuckered out whenever we were together.



We took Arizona's parents down to our rock skipping spot and found a new friend. We named him Chester. For some reason, he kept trying to escape. Alas, he was no match for Arizona's lightning reflexes. He would not make a very good football flasher...way too slow! Arizona set him free in the muddy flooded creek (hence no rock skipping) and we watched him swim. Unfortunately for Chester, Arizona felt as though his initial swim wasn't long enough, so Chester was caught one more time and tossed to the middle of the creek to make the swim again. Good thing he has a great frog kick!





Our last day in Virginia began with some great photo ops at Great Falls. (We discovered that the pictures utilizing the flash turned out better...ha! I love homonyms!) The scenery was amazing and we learned all kinds of funky historical information. I love learning!


After the Great Falls adventure, we scooted over to meet Aly and Patrick and play with a couple of parrots before we headed to the Nationals vs Phillies game. It was raining when we got off the metro so we were fearful that the game would be called.

We found the Five Guys despite the rain. And sat under the canopy anxiouly awaiting news on the staus of the game. (Okay, honestly, I wasn't anxious at all...I had a Five Guys burger and fries getting all of my attention and I was as happy as a little boy in a pinned up superhero costume frolicking around the zoo!)



Game time!

It only took Patrick a couple of innings to be out like a light. Baseball is better than Ambien apparently!

He was wide awake when we were hit by a DC downpour! Just as the Nats were making a comeback too, rats! We were all drenched in a matter of seconds, so we figured why not capture the moment!

Arizona and Aly got to see another of their college/work chums. The crowds were clearing out of the stadium in a flash...as soon as the first monsterous drops began falling from the sky.

And so, we got on to the frigid metro (air conditioning always feels so much cooler when you've just taken a shower in your clothes...funny how that happens) and headed home. And just like that our trip was over.

And just like that you've reached the end of this long post.

I bet it feels like you read it in a flash!



Arizona and Chester's swimming time

3 comments:

Aly said...

Patrick looked so peaceful at the game. What a great time!

Julee and Matt said...

The girls want to go to the zoo and a baseball game now that they saw your pictures!

laceyjo said...

I love your blog!! :) Brad sent me your link the other day, and I thought I would finally say hi. I can't wait to meet the person Brad gets all his "information" from. :)