The Jefferson building of the library is one of my favorite buildings in DC! It is amazing! And ever since the first time I went there I have wanted to get a library card (available to anyone in the world with a valid ID and reason for research) so I could have access to every room in the place...well maybe not EVERY room but you get the idea. There is a room in the Jefferson building called the National Treasures Room. It contains pieces of art and music that have played significant roles in our country's history. On the back wall of this room is a huge map...the first map upon which America was ever represented. It was my favorite part of the whole exhibit so naturally I took a picture (or 7) of it...then as I was walking out of the room I noticed a sign that explicitly said "No Photography"....what a rebel I am! Lest you are fearing that I ruined some priceless artifact...I didn't use a flash and I think it was a replica anyway. So I guess I'm not really that rebellious! After being photographed by a rather foward yet hilarious security guard...we made our way across the street to register for library cards. A few forms and a terrible picture later and I am now a proud card carrying member of the library of Congress...HOT for sure! PS the pictures at the bottom are of the walls which contain the history of "THE map" hopefully you can read them because it really is some rather interesting info...or maybe I'm just a nerd.
Tuesday, June 5, 2007
Becoming a card carrying member of the Library of Congress...HOT!
Yesterday my parents braved the city by themselves for most of the day, they quickly became champions of the meto! I slaved away at work until 2 (and by slaved I mean tried really hard to stay awake but eventually had to give in a take a five minute nap on the white seat...listen, it's hard when you only sleep for 3 and a 1/2 hours!) and then I met them at the Library of Congress.
The Jefferson building of the library is one of my favorite buildings in DC! It is amazing! And ever since the first time I went there I have wanted to get a library card (available to anyone in the world with a valid ID and reason for research) so I could have access to every room in the place...well maybe not EVERY room but you get the idea. There is a room in the Jefferson building called the National Treasures Room. It contains pieces of art and music that have played significant roles in our country's history. On the back wall of this room is a huge map...the first map upon which America was ever represented. It was my favorite part of the whole exhibit so naturally I took a picture (or 7) of it...then as I was walking out of the room I noticed a sign that explicitly said "No Photography"....what a rebel I am! Lest you are fearing that I ruined some priceless artifact...I didn't use a flash and I think it was a replica anyway. So I guess I'm not really that rebellious! After being photographed by a rather foward yet hilarious security guard...we made our way across the street to register for library cards. A few forms and a terrible picture later and I am now a proud card carrying member of the library of Congress...HOT for sure! PS the pictures at the bottom are of the walls which contain the history of "THE map" hopefully you can read them because it really is some rather interesting info...or maybe I'm just a nerd.
The Jefferson building of the library is one of my favorite buildings in DC! It is amazing! And ever since the first time I went there I have wanted to get a library card (available to anyone in the world with a valid ID and reason for research) so I could have access to every room in the place...well maybe not EVERY room but you get the idea. There is a room in the Jefferson building called the National Treasures Room. It contains pieces of art and music that have played significant roles in our country's history. On the back wall of this room is a huge map...the first map upon which America was ever represented. It was my favorite part of the whole exhibit so naturally I took a picture (or 7) of it...then as I was walking out of the room I noticed a sign that explicitly said "No Photography"....what a rebel I am! Lest you are fearing that I ruined some priceless artifact...I didn't use a flash and I think it was a replica anyway. So I guess I'm not really that rebellious! After being photographed by a rather foward yet hilarious security guard...we made our way across the street to register for library cards. A few forms and a terrible picture later and I am now a proud card carrying member of the library of Congress...HOT for sure! PS the pictures at the bottom are of the walls which contain the history of "THE map" hopefully you can read them because it really is some rather interesting info...or maybe I'm just a nerd.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Look at you getting internet stalked from Germany by some dude you don't even know! Is that hot, or not?
Ha, I'm assuming this is directed at me! Actually, I'm from DC and live in Germany for work until this fall. As for 'stalking', that is a bit hard to do from Moscow, where I am right now. And I only know about this blog due to Joy, so thank her and hopefully she'd and some of the others in Ward 2 might vouch for my non-stalking comments, haha. I find the blog amusing, especially since it covers DC a lot, which I miss.
I have no idea who Steve is.
Nah, Steve is alright. He's a friend of a friend--I know you through SJ, right? So to be accurate, I guess I'd have to go to SJ to vouch for him. He's been commenting on my blog for a year or more and he's a good egg.
Oh and Steve, the last internet guy this friend knows was the one who lied, tried to steal my bag, tried to steal my roommate's cell phone. I'm sure I'm still trying to make up for that in the roommates eyes! Don't ruin it for me! ;)
Crap! There goes this weekend's plans! :)
Let's see, how DID I come to know you Joy? Actually, I don't think we've ever had the pleasure of meeting in person. I did meet SJ before she went west. I hung out with MJ for a good bit. I even knew her before she cut off all her hair and was one of the first to see the new do!!! There are a few other names I could drop from the Colonial 2, but I think most have 'graduated' to the family wards, either voluntarily or by age, or moved west to persue their political careers. :)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure we've never actually met, so I'd have to go through MJ or SJ (SJ I know better, but MJ and I met in person before we started reading each others blogs). Colonial 2nd? I was in Colonial before they were divided--but that was 4 years ago.
Post a Comment