He's one tough cookie that brother of mine.
In deciding to become a Marine, he also chose to enter as an officer. The program that he signed up for allows him to finish college and become an officer after he has earned his degree. Thus, he will bypass the grunt work that most enlisted recruits face.
Sounds like a great program right? It is, except for one tiny little hurdle.
Officer Candidates School.
"The mission of Officer Candidates School is to educate, train, evaluate, & screen officer candidates to ensure they possess the moral, intellectual, & physical qualities for commissioning, & the leadership potential to serve successfully as company grade officers in the Operating Forces " - Officer Candidates School Mission Statement.
I think "training" to a Marine has a different meaning than it does to us ordinary folks. My job training has always consisted of watching some videos, eating a lunch provided by my employer, maybe going through a new computer program or two. A cake walk comparatively.
The Marines pretty much make you go through hell and back. And then if you reach the end and are still alive, congratulations you get to be an officer. No small achievement let me tell you!
Luckily stubbornness and determination run in my family.
I don't know that I could do a tenth of the things required at OCS.
You think I'm joking, but I'm so not!
After the first month or so Justin was able to make phone calls. I listened to his stories with my mouth hanging open. From doing push-ups with another guy doing a push-up on his back, to middle of the night marches, to the infection he got from crawling through a swamp, to the physical fitness tests that would put Rocky to shame, he fought through it all and shrugged it off as being a "mental game."
Like I said he's one tough cookie.
And one of the few to make it all the way through the program. They finished with a lot less guys than they started with.
My mom and other brother were able to go out to Quantico for his graduation from OCS. I so wish I could have been there!
I'm more proud of him than I can say. Now all he has to do is graduate from college. A walk in the park.
Come spring he'll be a commissioned officer.
Semper fi!
In deciding to become a Marine, he also chose to enter as an officer. The program that he signed up for allows him to finish college and become an officer after he has earned his degree. Thus, he will bypass the grunt work that most enlisted recruits face.
Sounds like a great program right? It is, except for one tiny little hurdle.
Officer Candidates School.
"The mission of Officer Candidates School is to educate, train, evaluate, & screen officer candidates to ensure they possess the moral, intellectual, & physical qualities for commissioning, & the leadership potential to serve successfully as company grade officers in the Operating Forces " - Officer Candidates School Mission Statement.
I think "training" to a Marine has a different meaning than it does to us ordinary folks. My job training has always consisted of watching some videos, eating a lunch provided by my employer, maybe going through a new computer program or two. A cake walk comparatively.
The Marines pretty much make you go through hell and back. And then if you reach the end and are still alive, congratulations you get to be an officer. No small achievement let me tell you!
Luckily stubbornness and determination run in my family.
I don't know that I could do a tenth of the things required at OCS.
You think I'm joking, but I'm so not!
After the first month or so Justin was able to make phone calls. I listened to his stories with my mouth hanging open. From doing push-ups with another guy doing a push-up on his back, to middle of the night marches, to the infection he got from crawling through a swamp, to the physical fitness tests that would put Rocky to shame, he fought through it all and shrugged it off as being a "mental game."
Like I said he's one tough cookie.
And one of the few to make it all the way through the program. They finished with a lot less guys than they started with.
My mom and other brother were able to go out to Quantico for his graduation from OCS. I so wish I could have been there!
I'm more proud of him than I can say. Now all he has to do is graduate from college. A walk in the park.
Come spring he'll be a commissioned officer.
Semper fi!


(front row, third from the left)
My mom made him get back into his gear when they got back to the hotel. Doesn't that look just say "don't mess with me."
They got to spend a few hours in DC. I sure do love these brothers of mine!
Uncle Justin teaching the nephews to give the tough guy look. Listen, some little guys are just too smiley to pull off the look. 
2 comments:
Congrats Justin! How cool!
How cool! I am super impressed. I am glad to hear Justin is doing well.
Post a Comment