Our final few days in Oregon. We hiked, biked, napped, experienced the Saturday market, watched some football, picked some apples, slept outside, got attacked by falling apples, made friends with a squirrel, and kept wishing the time would pass more slowly! On the night before we left we were sleeping outside on the deck (my parents have a great futon that we used outside on many a night, though if it were up to Arizona we would have slept out every single night, even those that were rainy!) and just as I was tucking my head under the pillow to drown out the noise of the rooster, I heard a thumping sound that was growing progressively louder. All of the sudden, THWACK! A renegade apple smacked Arizona right on the chest! It had somehow rolled all the way across the roof (the apple tree is at the far end of the house) and took a flying leap. It bounced off of Arizona's chest and into the yard. Needless to say he was quite startled! And, I was laughing so hard I was almost crying! Gotta love that country livin'! The pictures will do much more justice to the rest of our storied time in Oregon than I ever could, so without further ado...
My mom and I decided to have our own adventure! I think this was the first of three naps I took that day...man, I love vacation!
After the snoozing and the bike riding, we headed to Sahali Falls. This is the upper part of the falls. I really think this is about the prettiest river around!


The lower falls. I know this looks like one of those vinyl back-drops at the Sears photo studio but I promise it's just good ol' mother nature!

Just up the road from Sahali Falls is Clear Lake, the site of my second nap of the day...sheesh look how tranquil and relaxing it looks, do you blame me?!

We discovered that bridges are for more than just kissing on the mouth, they're also for making friends with brave little squirrels. Sorry for the blurry picture, our little friend was moving pretty quickly. He came right up to where we were standing paused, dropped his piece of wood and then ran back in the direction from whence he came. A few seconds later, he began to venture across the bridge again, we stood perfectly still and watched with delight as he cautiously came toward us. When he reached his abandoned piece of wood, he quickly snatched it up and scampered across the bridge to his destination and safety. It was pretty darn cute.



We spent a good portion of Saturday watching football with the "coolest grandparents in the land." We took a short break to walk around Saturday Market (I wanted to Arizona to really get the feel of Eugene and all her hippy-ness) and eat some lunch with my mom and sister and my sister's roommate. I think Arizona was eager to get back to the "viewing room" where all the football action was taking place. Once upon a time, years and years ago when I was a wee lass, I spent day after day day dreaming about visiting my grandparents in Oregon. Every summer we would visit, and every summer we each filled out a "goodie list" which, after much deliberation and careful thought were shipped off to Oregon a few weeks prior to our visit. We were each given the opportunity to request our three favorite "goodies" and then as if by magic, it never failed that those goodies would be laid out with strategically placed name placards upon the kitchen table when we arrived. Oh how I used to agonize over those lists! I would write and erase and write and erase over and over until I erased holes in my paper and had to begin afresh. Ice cream, licorice, animal cookies...there were so many things to choose from! However, my grandma always knew that one item on my list was a constant every summer...cheese balls. I have many memories of popping open a can of cheese balls and only eating 1 or 2 at a time, so as to make them last the duration of our two week visit. It became somewhat of a tradition. So, you can imagine how tickled I was when Arizona and I showed up to watch football and each found a brown paper bag with our names on it, our goodies awaiting us. Apparently, cheese balls are a thing of the past. They have been replaced by your ordinary elongated cheese puff...cheese balls with a glandular condition, and also quite delicious!
My grandpa is flashing "the cool look." You can only see my mom's hair and part of one eye, but I promise she was there and boy howdy did she make a delicious dinner.
My grandpa and Arizona having a jolly old time giving Ringo some treats. It was all fun and games until my grandpa starting trying to teach Arizona how to throw down "the cool look"


Grandpa has got it DOWN! Arizona on the other hand...looks a tiny bit constipated. I think he needs a bit more practice! All in all we had an amazing vacation and look forward to our next visit! Thanks to my mom and dad, my amazing sister, and the coolest grandparents in the land for making our Oregon experience one we will never forget!
Friday, September 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Looks like you had an amazing time! Sure do miss those bestest grandparents in the whole world and my puka sister too. I think in the not so far off future we need to plan a family reunion.. You know the Blakes, Johnstons, and Cogdill clans.
your ahir is so long best friend. looks pratty! oregon is so beautiful i wish we had been able to meet you and ps happy anniverasry!!
Post a Comment