Monday, June 2, 2008

3 Parties, 2 Churches, and Some Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Once upon a time two people (besides us) fell in love. Then one day they kissed on the mouth and all thoughts of singledom were gone forever. They decided to join the ranks of the married and throw a huge party for all their friends and family in celebration. Congratulations Drew and Kara, we're so glad we were able to be there!



Funny story: This is where Arizona and I met for the first time...well actually this is where Arizona fell head over heels for me as soon as he saw me in white...(I guess my temple dress is sexier than I thought!)...we didn't actually meet until later that night. Anyway, it was fun to be back "where the magic started" We had some time to kill before the reception so we headed to the National Cathedral because I never had a chance to see it during my sojourn in Virginia. So, I guess you could say we visited the two biggest "churches" in the DC area in one day.


The sun was shining through the stained glass, making the most gorgeous rainbows on the walls. This picture doesn't do justice to how beautiful it was! PS my trusty silver flip flops were waiting for me to kick off my heels and walk around the cathedral in comfort...and style, so I obliged! Love em!

History factoid: Woodrow Wilson, the 28th President of the United States, is buried at the National Cathedral.

What a beautiful building!





Kara and Drew's ring ceremony and reception were held at a beautiful golf course in Maryland. We ate, laughed and danced until we just couldn't party anymore. Arizona got to see a bunch of his friends from college (I'm so glad that I'm the one he goes home with!) and they had a blast reminiscing about their Hokie days. We thought the groom's cake was hilarious (well I thought it was hilarious and Matt thought it was about the most beautiful cake his little eyes had ever seen.) Kara and Drew met at a Virginia Tech vs Maryland football game. And since the Hokies destroyed the Terps...Kara gets endless pleasure gloating and thought it was only fitting to have the groom's cake symbolize that fateful day! What a clever girl she is!



The adventure continued the next morning when we went to a family brunch at the Officer's Club on the army base, Fort Belvouir (Arizona's grandpa was an officer in the Navy.) There were fifteen of us rowdies (this is Arizona's sister and her beau) and of course we had a great time. The food was absolutely delish! Mmm...my mouth is watering at the mere thought of those chocolate covered strawberries...and the apple crepes...and the eggs (can you tell I haven't eaten dinner yet?!) Later that afternoon we went to the National Memorial Day Concert that is held every year on the lawn of the capital...

We took some games (I kicked some trash at Yahtzee) and some yummy snacks and got there a few hours early so we had GREAT seats! There were thousands of people milling around so of course we played a game called "That Guy" which was introduced to us by Aly (and with which I immediately fell in love.) Example: Find the "I'm so in love with my body" guy or the "Those CAN'T be real" gal...oh gosh we laughed a fair amount!

Okay, this wasn't even part of the "That Guy" game but we thought it was too good of a photo op to pass up. Can you find the couple dressed in Civil War attire? At first we thought they were part of the show...but oh no, they were just normal spectators my friends. I told you it was a great place for people watching!


Some sweet pictures from the concert. We got to see Gladys Knight, Sarah Brightman, Rodney Atkins, Colin Powell, Gary Sinese...and quite a few others. It really was so fun!

This is one of my favorite pictures of the trip! Don't worry we have a whole day left of adventures to blog about...and we climbed a mountain so there are some sweet pictures to look forward to!

4 comments:

Aly said...

That picture of Patrick and I is funny looking....eeeww. But I love the one of the four of us. Hope you don't mind if I steal some since I took my camera everywhere, but never took it out...lol!

Lyanna said...

You guys are too cute for your own good sometimes :). I look forward to taking adventures with Wes when the kids are bigger...

Julee and Matt said...

I can't believe you have another day to blog about. Looks like this trip was a GREAT one!

Brooke said...

Lucky! Looks like you guys had a good time. I have to say that I can't look at your smile without smiling myself. You two just glow! I think you should take a trip out to Seattle on your next adventure!(: