Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Peterson's Ice Cream Depot...HOT!

Ta daaaaaa....here it is, the post that you've all been anticipating...Peterson's Ice Cream Depot! Let me just start by saying that I absolutely LOVE ice cream and homemade ice cream...well it just has a special place in my heart! When I was little we used to make ice cream when we would go on camping trips by putting all the yumminess in a couple of coffee cans and rolling them back and forth between two of us (now that I think about it I have no idea where my mom would have gotten coffee cans...hmmmm) and thus the name became "Coffee Can Ice Cream" and it was one of my favorite summertime treats! Well let me tell you, Arizona and I found a place that rivals Coffee Can Ice Cream...an almost impossible task! Set in an idyllic little town in Northern Virginia, Peterson's has managed to capture the "flavor" of a less hectic time. For instance the sign that greets customers says that they are open every day "except the days that it is continually raining." This is because every delightful treat is served out of two walk-up windows and then customers are provided with little outdoor pinic-esque areas. They have flavors of the week and sundae naming contests for children under 12. The fences lining the walk-up area are decorated with old maps of the county and posters made by children of the community. (Arizona and I both got quite a kick out of Sammy's poster...check out what it says under Sammy's idea of happiness and his favorite dinosaur...what an awesome lil cowboy!) There is even a water cooler perched on a stool with a note that reads "for sticky fingers." So...the ambiance just screams "kick off your shoes, walk throught the grass barefoot and enjoy the fabulous relaxed pace of summer" and the shake that I had was fabulous...homemade shake from homemade ice cream and fresh peaches...boy howdy my tongue nearly stood up and let out a rip roarin "hoooorah!" It was like a party for my mouth! So now maybe you can understand a little better why my Adventure Saturday was so perfect...walking in a B-E-A-Utiful stream, skipping rocks, playing on an old railway car, walking through a peaceful town, playing on a swing set in the park, enjoying a fabulous and delightful shake that brought back peaceful memories of my youth...and all with Arizona by my side! How lucky can a girl get!? Purty darn...I reckon! (PS for some reason talking about a small town makes me have a cowgirl accent....I know I know I'm Las Vegas bred and DC residing, but I did work on a ranch for a whole year so that totally counts!) Peterson's Ice Cream Depot...pure delight and so HOT!

2 comments:

Joy said...

That Sammy poster is pretty awesome.

Unknown said...

I can't agree with you more and I am Sammmy's mom! You are right about Peterson's and the town of Clifton, it is a wonderful place to live and visit. Come back and see us for Clifton Day and Kidsfest (check out our town website for dates).