Thursday, May 17, 2007

Man-Hole-Cover cows...umm you decide

So once upon a time in November of 2006, I met a guy who told me a crazy and improbable story that I was sure was his attempt to impress me, as guys are wont to do when they have a hugemongo crush on the girl with whom they are conversing, but let me give you a little background before I send your emotions into a frenzied state of shock and awe. A rather large group of us had just been playing a real live game of Clue. There were characters from the game dressed up and waiting in various rooms in the church to answer questions about the culprit. Participants went from room to room as if we were game pieces on a board. The whole thing was rather inventive and actually a lot of fun, course I can say that because Megs and I WON! Anyway, somewhere between signing autographs and standing on the gold medal platform we fielded a question about how we met and became the unstoppable duo that we are. That one question changed my life forever! We let all of our adoring fans know that the duo came about while we were working as ranch hands in Utah. They of course were appropriately impressed and many felt the need to share their stories of child hood pets long since gone, somehow hoping that we would find similarities between their varied experiences feeding goldfish and our exciting escapades castrating and de-horning calves. It was at this point in the conversation that a young man with whom I had recently become acquainted, jumped in with a story of his own. Ne'er had such a yarn been spun in the church! I was fearful that lightning was going to come straight through the ceiling and strike him dead (or at least give him a little jolt) for telling such a whopper as his was. His claim: while he was attending school at Virginia Tech, he would drive past a pasture every day where cows were grazing and just being their everyday cow-like selves. However, these were unlike any cows he (or anyone) had ever seen! There in the sides of their big ole' bellies was what appeared to be a man-hole cover. He assertion was that these particular cows had been designated for the education of the veterinary students, and as such, they had a hole cut in their sides which was then covered with Plexiglas so the students could watch the digestion process in action. Not only that, but some of them had two holes cut in them, with a tube the size of a man's arm running from guts to open air. The purpose of this tube, he stated, was so students and members of the public could, if they felt so inclined, could reach in there and poke around in the cows guts! Can you imagine someone just reaching into your stomach and squishing around?!!? What if his hands were cold?!!? I would be like, "Excuse me but we just met, I think its a little early for the gut squeezing phase of our relationship, don't you!?" Anyway, so needless to say I didn't believe this tall tale for a second, and I made sure to let him know! Relax, I was nice about letting him know I thought he was completely full of it! Imagine my surprise when I got a text message from said young man (a text which I still have as a matter of fact) stating that he had sent proof of his tall tale in the form of an email. Sure enough, there it was...an article about the supposed man-hole cover cows. Did that sell me on it...not quite! I'll admit I MOSTLY believed him, but was still a bit skeptical! I made him promise that day, that if we ever took a trip to Virginia Tech we absolutely had to find those cows! Fast forward to April 2007 and my first trip to Virginia Tech. THEY REALLY DO EXIST! I saw them with my very own eyes! While standing next to that pasture, I felt like I was in a science fiction movie or dreaming and the thought did cross my mind that maybe somebody had put something funny in my dinner the night before...alas I pinched myself and it hurt! So the only logical conclusion was...somehow we had entered a black hole on the way to Blacksburg! Man-Hole-Cover cows...you decide!

4 comments:

Joy said...

That manhole conversation and the subsequent castration of sheep debate was one of the most memorable conversations of 2006...or maybe I need to get out more?

J said...

Agreed! That was an awesome topic! Too bad we don't have a quote board cuz I'm sure the Mark quote about biting would be at the top of the list!

Sara said...

I think we need to start a quote board - I've got a few good ones from those boys!

Joy said...

Seriously...Mark talking about biting needs to be on the quote board!

I think we should get one. That would be cool!